Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Scene Add on: Uncharted

     As I gazed around the long bustling terminal, I saw a couple savoring a plate of cheesecake, a boy waving good bye to his parents, and a company of air stewardesses making their way to the escalator with their luggage bags trailing behind. French-twist, floral scarf, knee-length skirt and a smile that would make any man blush. A much needed distraction from my pulsating stomach, which seem to sync with the ticking clock hanging from a pillar in this aerodrome—the awaited hour draws near.
     
     Everyone seem like they had a place to go, a thing to do. Janitors would clean and waiters would serve and officers would go on patrols. Flight passengers would try to pin-point their flight destinations on the six-screen board hanging by the gateway. But I was somewhere in between. Between what is and what will be.

     Ah, a destination, I thought. It’s the prime rule for travelers. It could be a neighboring country or somewhere on the other side of the world or EVEN THE ARTIC! Regardless, every traveler has a journey’s end. I wonder if I ‘really’ had a destination.I was going somewhere--a one-way ticket to the United States, but where was I going? I began to wonder if I made the right dec-...

     Jason Mraz started to sing a chorus line:
            “So, I won’t hesitate no more, no more”s

     It was my cellphone—ringing the same tune about 'not hesitating' for half an hour now. The awaited hour draws near and calls from friends who wanted to say their final goodbyes flooded the communication sphere. It amazes me how cold hard wires in all its intricate ways are able to channel familiar voices from miles away. Petty thoughts. What annoying pleasures their voices were.

             “Josh, don’t party too much, okay?”
             “Joshie boy, have a safe flight, I’ll miss you!”
             “Oy, don’t eat too many burgers and grow fat, Mr. Lim!”

     Perhaps the most heartfelt was from my 15-year-old friend, Joel—a talented boy whom I've seen grown from a kid to a teen.  

              “Hey Josh, I’m sorry we couldn't make it. I really wanted to send you off but my dad had to be somewhere. Just know we all wish you a safe flight, and we’ll see you soon.” *end*  
               
     A bittersweet moment indeed. Tick tock tick tock

     No one was obligated to attend my departure, yet it felt good that people cared to show up—in large numbers too. My parents and relatives and the cheerleading team and my closest friends from church--all here. I've always felt inadequate, but I was complete.

     Grandpa and grandma came too—both approaching their 80s. I held their hands for a moment longer. These were the hands that have nurtured two generation of Lim’s; hands once smooth and strong now soft and wrinkled and discolored from the brightness of youth. How much sand does the hourglass still hold? Enough to hold these hands again?
     
     Why have I chosen to leave all this behind?

      The life I had was great. Why trade all I had gained only to start over. Nervousness started to perspire from my palms. There would be no shame in turning back. I’m sure no one would fully object. Even the girl I had a crush on for five years stood in front of me with tears flowing down her cheeks.

“Come back, okay?” she said.

I stared at the clock again--tick tock tick tock. The awaited hour was here.


6 comments:

  1. Your descriptions are always so vivid and concise and you make it very easy for me to create an image from your writing. My favorite description in this piece would have to be the details about the stewardess. It really reminded me of the average perception of a flight attendant that I have seen before.

    I think the paragraph about your grandparents is definitely the strongest portion of this writing piece because you very successfully conveyed a sense of worry. Lastly, my favorite line from this piece is, "Nervousness started to perspire from my palms." I really like the concept of taking an emotion and giving it inanimate characteristics.

    Also, I commend you for your big move. You have a lot more guts than I do. I got accepted to a school in Georgia and I didn't end up going and I think about it a lot. I really hope I didn't miss out on anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,

    This was a really amazing piece about something very important to you, which is awesome! I love the essay a lot, especially that section about your grandparents. There was something about the way you described their hands that was very poetic. I would definitely say this piece has a sense of indecision, which is really nice, as the reader tries to figure out with you whether it is better to move or stay.

    I would like to commend you for deciding to go through with the move, like Taylor said. That's very brave, and I hope you haven't regretted it! I would like to know more about how you do feel now that you're here, though. Maybe a second piece, a follow up once you'd been here for a little while? Anyway, not much criticism from me at the moment, keep up the great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the scene add-on was really good. Perhaps even stronger than the opening. The entire paragraph about your grandparents was fantastic. So beautiful and insightful. Such a great job with that.

    I also really liked all the questioning you had with whether or not leaving your home behind was the best decision for you. Provides your piece with conflict and it was written very well.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the full circle of the piece with how you were able to begin your piece on the "awaited hour," and then finish with it.

    Your scenes are very well detailed. You paint a terminal in a way I feel I would have forgotten to do. I find myself writing about me and and only myself, sometimes forgetting about the rest of the background. You do well not to forget and show everyone else you see in the terminal, living their lives.

    My favorite line would have to be, "What annoying pleasures their voices were." It shows how important these people are and how they will be missed, as they keep reminding you what you will be leaving behind.

    Very good piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Josh,

    This piece gave me chills. You really have talent in making your readers feel like we're there in the moment with you! I can't imagine going through this particular situation, and I find it crazy that you've explained it in such a way that I almost understand it. I really like all the dialogue and the piece about the Jason Mraz lyrics. You used all of these things to make us anticipate your "awaited hour."

    I hope you've decided this was the right decision to make - you seem to have great talent and I'm happy you made the move. Looking forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh,

    I thought this was lovely, especially in its small details. And you concisely addressed huge things about what you were leaving behind: aging grandparents, romance. . .

    What about culture? What are the things you were looking forward to about coming, and what have you discovered. What did you expect to miss about home, and what are the unexpected things you miss?

    DW

    ReplyDelete