Monday, February 17, 2014

Elle Ai Elle


Spring
I couldn’t tell if this season would be different from the rest, but you wore a yellow shirt. Daisies. Your lips were the first thing I noticed. Red, luscious, tender. First day of knowing you: a debate erupts, shared our first giggle, and slap to the arm. . I was only 13. Too young to start holding roses. The thorns would prick wounds deeper than the flesh. To me, you were that rose. A blossoming infatuation.  

Summer
I was wondering how far we could travel before we arrived at a journey’s end—France? The AC in the bus was out. You gently leaned your head on my shoulder, exhausted from the heat wave circulating in the interior. Your hair cascading the like a waterfall. A different kind of warmth. You breached my safety perimeter--an undisclosed side where outsiders were prohibited. But, you didn't seem to care. It was just the two of us, in a pool of strangers. I got my answer.

Autumn
September called for breathing space. Someone else had set his sight on you--my best friend. And I found a dark corner by the edge of eyes. One filled with tears.The leaves of our friendship, withering: slowly.  I gripped the rose, and the thorns pierced and blood oozed.  


Winter
“Come back, okay?” she said faintly. Words that echoed a chill up my spine. But, not a word breezed through my mouth. Uncertain promises are always better left unsaid. Snowflake tears. We held on to each other—both seeking solace on a winter’s night. Like conspirators of the night, we exchanged a moment only shared between the two of us. Your hands around my back only serve as reminder of what we could have been. I’m 20. Still holding on to that rose.

3 comments:

  1. I really like how you broke this piece up. Your headings made it easier to follow and were really symbolic of the changes. I think I would like to know a little bit more about this girl, who she was in relationship to you. I want to ask for more background, but I think it may complicate the poetic nature of the piece. Great work as always Josh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on what you said, Camille. I still want to improve on this piece, and your feedback has been helpful.

      Delete
  2. Josh,

    This has a ton of potential. I think, at the end of the day, the small moments are more effective than the big metaphors. So, the image of a girl lying her head on you on a bus is more touching than discussion of roses, cascades, and chills.

    Can you maintain lyricism without going to those tried-and-tru(ism) phrases?

    I enjoyed reading this, JL.

    DW

    ReplyDelete