Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Classmate/Short Takes Response

If I had to pick a story from Short Takes and a piece from my classmates. It would be Yellowed Memories by Anessa Wilson, and Kim Barnes' Work. To start off both stories have somewhat of a similar structure that reflect a journey of growing up, and I particularly enjoy the transitional pauses marked by asterisks or numbers. The focus on a series of important life events, told in single scenes without the need to connect to the other, allows reader to tap solely to the emotions of that specific moment. And with each moment the reader is able to connect more with author.

Both pieces also establishes intimacy and with the reader. Wilson touches on her roller-coaster sibling relationship and Barnes talks about trying to get by life challenges. They do not assume the role of heroine in their stories and they do stir up the sympathy of the reader by sharing relatable hardships.

I'd say this two pieces are a good match.

 

2 comments:

  1. Josh,

    I also really enjoyed the structure of both pieces. I just found that each separate section made very different images and I felt like I was looking at individual photographs. I like that Barne's titled the sections. I think it would be interesting to see the title's in Anessa's work because it reminds me of the little "blurbs" that one might write on the back of a photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty nicely done, but I'm anxious to hear what the effect of the sections is. Is it similar to juxtapositional editing in cinema? Or to discordant notes in music? Or are we seeing a diptych, like in painting?

    What are the strengths and drawbacks of presenting potentially dissimilar scenes and asking the reader to interpret?

    DW

    ReplyDelete