Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Trains to Womanhood



(In a Hunger Games manner) If I had to choose two essays as tribute, I would choose Danielle Daugherty's Innocence to Womanhood and Paul Zimmer's The Trains. I think two essays go well with one another as both these essays tend highlight the author's struggle with certain things in their lives. Danielle, on one hand is searching for inner femininity, of being a woman, while Zimmer is trying to regain the reality he never had. Both essays make good use of simple, concise sentences; let their propel the story; and portray a lot of personal reflections tied to key events of their lives--they try to make sense of things. They're both mixed up, and within their reflections they tend to bring up questions that motivate readers to think as well

What was I thinking? Why do I sit at my writing table at a time like this? (Zimmer)
What does it mean to be a woman? (Daugherty)

The raw emotions and solemn tone-- by using simple,non-extravagant words--makes these two essays a relatable read when pondering about life and struggles.






No comments:

Post a Comment